Subject: xmllint validation of IDREF problem

I am having the following problem when validating a document and can't seem to
fix it. Hope somebody knows why.

xmllint --noout --xinclude --postvalid faqguide/faq2.xml

faqguide/faq2.xml:15: element link: validity error : IDREF attribute linkend
references an unknown ID "sect-general"

I have checked to see if an element with the id="sect-general" exists in the
document and it does. BTW faq2.xml is the main file using a combination of
XInclude and External Entities for inclusion of smaller XML instances.

SAMPLE FROM FAQ2.XML
---------------------------
<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.3//EN"
	"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.3/docbookx.dtd"; [
<!ENTITY % xinclude SYSTEM "../libs/xinclude.mod">
%xinclude;
<!ENTITY % globalent SYSTEM "../libs/global.ent">
%globalent;
]>
<preface id="chap-faq-intro">
        <title>Preface</title>
        &general-notes; &conventions; &feedback;
        <sect1 id="sect-acknowledge">
            <title>Acknowledgements</title>

<!-- The inclusion -->
<xi:include xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";
href="faqs/Repositories.xml">
        <xi:fallback>
            <para>
                <emphasis>FIXME: MISSING XINCLUDE CONTENT</emphasis>
            </para>
        </xi:fallback>

DEFINITION OF EXTERNAL ENTITY IN GLOBAL.ENT

<!ENTITY general-notes SYSTEM '../common/general-notes.xml'>

IN GENERAL-NOTES.XML
---------------------------

<sect1 id="sect-general">
    <title>General Notes</title>

SAMPLE REPOSITORIES.XML LINKING TO ID
------------------------------------

<orderedlist>
            <listitem>
                </para>
            </listitem>

As I understand the --postvalid should cause xmllint to validate a complete or
expanded XML instance of faq2.xml so the XIncudes and External Entities
should already be expanded in the tree. I have the same problem on a number
of points where documents make links to documents outside themselves.

Xerces returns the same results, but I am not sure that it does the
--postvalid thing of xmllint.

--
Sean Wheller
sean@enbaya.co.za