Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] DocBook XML example projects posted. One formatted with FrameMaker 7.0. One formatted with DocBook XSL.

Hello Dave Lewis,

If you have any fixes or suggestions to correct the
structured FrameMaker difficulties I described on my
website, please send them to me.  I ask because you have
zeroed in on one of the difficulties with structured
FrameMaker that is pretty much a confirmed FrameMaker bug,
as opposed to other difficulties I describe that might be
caused by me (pilot error). Perhaps you have solved the
other difficulties I described?

> Do you know of any examples where this type of
> fix has been implemented?

No, although I'm sure it has been solved many times by many
different FrameMaker experts. All the experts I've conferred
with agree that it is old SGML behavior that has not been
modified for XML. Perhaps you are a C programmer. Have you
looked at the code used to create the DocBook Starter Kit's
custom client? In my conversations with FrameMaker experts
on the Internet forums, code for custom clients is usually
where they draw the line. Are you just looking for free
code?

When it comes to solving structured FrameMaker bugs and
writing custom clients, I need free code, because I doubt
that I will ever be good enough with C to write my own
custom clients. I'm a Java programmer and that's where my
programming efforts will go in the future.

Can you help with any of the other difficulties I describe?
Are you a FrameMaker expert?

Thanks,

Steve Whitlatch

ect_Readme
.html

http://www.getnet.net/~swhitlat/DocBook/docbook_section.html

Apparently, google serves up the text of an old version I
posted here about a year ago (now in the docbook-apps
archives). I was too hard on FrameMaker. I've done a bit
more work with structured FrameMaker and DocBook XML and
revised the earlier text, some, not a lot.

Structured FrameMaker's performance with DocBook XML is not
bad, as I originally described, at least not when I run it
under Windows 2000 Pro; however, it is still very bad when I
run it under Windows 2000 Server (same machine, multiple
operating systems).

Steve Whitlatch

The sender intends this message for a specific recipient
and, as it may contain information that is privileged or
confidential, any use, dissemination, forwarding, or copying
by anyone without permission from the sender is prohibited.
Personal e-mail may contain views that are not necessarily
those of the company.