Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] jdk 1.5 and docbook xsl

Ok Jirka ... this workaround works fine.  Hope that at some times the "with
compiled stylesheet transformer" of JDK 1.5 will do the same work than the
"with not compiled" and will enalbe a simple xsl:import of the docbook
stylesheet. I will test regularly and let the list knows.

For those who wich to take this solution and that are chunking the HTML
result file, there is one little thing to do to the XSL stylesheet because
the "write extension" is not at the same place in the xalan.jar file (not
in the rt.jar).

One, declare the extension in chunker.xsl (here, I use
xmlns:xalanjaxpredirect) :

xmlns:saxon="http://icl.com/saxon";
xmlns:xalanredirect="org.apache.xalan.xslt.extensions.Redirect"
xmlns:xalanjaxpredirect="com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.lib.Redirect"
xmlns:exsl="http://exslt.org/common";
xmlns:doc="http://nwalsh.com/xsl/documentation/1.0";
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"; version="1.1"
exclude-result-prefixes="doc" extension-element-prefixes="saxon
xalanredirect  exsl xalanjaxpredirect">

Second change the xalan selector in the <xsl:template
name="make-relative-filename">

                         <xsl:when
test="element-available('xalanredirect:write') or
element-available('xalanjaxpredirect:write') or
element-available('xsl:result-document')">
                                 <!-- Xalan doesn't make the chunks
relative -->
                                 <xsl:value-of
select="concat($base.dir,$base.name)"/>
                         </xsl:when>

Then, add a new selector in the chunker itself :
                         <xsl:when
test="element-available('xalanjaxpredirect:write')">
                                 <!-- Xalan usewith jdk 1.5 -->
                                 <xalanjaxpredirect:write file="{$filename}">
                                         <xsl:copy-of select="$content"/>
                                 </xalanjaxpredirect:write>
                         </xsl:when>

Bob, should I submit this as a bug ? A RFE ?

Many thanks to all, pierre

At 23:46 30/01/2005, you wrote:
>Pierre Attar wrote:
>>
>>>If you add interpretive Xalan into your classpath (or use standalone
>>>JAXP 1.3) and if you will change appropriate property which specifies
>>>TransformerFactory you should be able to use JDK 1.5 with DocBook
>>>stylesheets right now.
>>>
>>>java -Djavax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory=
>>>     com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.processor.TransformerFactoryImpl ...
>>
>>Ok but where doe this class comes from in the JDK 1.5 ? The only place
>>where I found a TransformerFactoryImpl is in the rt.jar and it is under
>>the package com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax. If I'm able to
>>use com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.processor.TransformerFactoryImpl,
>>then I'm fully happy becaus it seems that this correspond to the non
>>compiled Xalan processor... problem, exploring all JDK jar, I never found
>>this class.
>
>As I wrote earlier, you must put standalone Xalan or JAXP 1.3 into your
>classpath. JDK 1.5 comes with stripped down version of JAXP 1.3 where is
>only XLSTC not interpretive Xalan.
>
>I think that grabbing JAXP 1.3 from
>
>https://jaxp.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=2068&expandFolder=2068&folderID=0
>
>and placing xalan.jar from this download into classpath should work with
>JDK 1.5.
>
>--
>   Jirka Kosek     e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz     http://www.kosek.cz
>   Profesionální školení a poradenství v oblasti technologií XML.
>      Podívejte se na náš nově spuštěný web http://DocBook.cz
>        Podrobný přehled školení http://xmlguru.cz/skoleni/

Pierre Attar (mailto:pat@tireme.fr)
Consultant en informatique documentaire XML
Consultant in Structured Document engineering

Projet "Mutualiser l'effort de montée en compétences sur XML"
http://www.mutu-xml.org/index.html