Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Unexpected XSL-FO formatting changes in versions of DocBook XSL after 1.65-1

The thing that has changed is the use of the component.title.properties
attribute-set by the component.title template.  That attribute-set was used
in some past version of the stylesheet to format component titles, then it
was removed, and then it was reinstated in 1.66.1 (but empty) as a
convenience for those who prefer attribute-sets over customizing
titlepage.templates.xml.  It turns out that your customization has a
component.title.properties attribute-set that is adding the properties you
don't want.  It was probably left over from some earlier version, and has
been inactive until 1.66.1 restored the use of that attribute-set.

DocBook Consulting

From: "Steve Whitlatch" <swhitlat@getnet.net>
To: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2005 1:06 PM
Subject: [docbook-apps] Unexpected XSL-FO formatting changes in versions of
DocBook XSL after 1.65-1

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to upgrade a DocBook XSL customization layer used by a document
whose formatting I thought I had settled using version 1.65-1 of the DocBook
XSL stylesheets. Starting with version 1.66-0 and continuing with all
subsequent versions of the DocBook XSL stylesheets up to 1.67-2, the
formatted output controlled by the following changed:

  <!-- font-family, font-size, and color of the chapter titles. Includes a
matching colored rule beneath the chapter title text. -->
  <xsl:template match="title" mode="chapter.titlepage.recto.auto.mode">
    <fo:block color="#336666" xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";
           xsl:use-attribute-sets="chapter.titlepage.recto.style"
           margin-left="{$title.margin.left}"
           font-size="20pt"
           font-weight="bold"
           font-style="italic"
           font-family="GillSans-BoldItalic"
           border-bottom-style="solid"
           border-bottom-width="3pt"
           border-bottom-color="#336666"
           space-after="9pt">
      <xsl:call-template name="component.title">
        <xsl:with-param name="node" select="ancestor-or-self::chapter[1]"/>
      </xsl:call-template>
    </fo:block>
  </xsl:template>

By "formatted output," I mean as rendered to PDF by FOP after running the
DocBook XML through xsltproc.

I've run some tests keeping the versions of xsltproc and FOP consistent.
>From DocBook XSL stylesheet versions 1.65-1 to (1.66-0 through 1.67-2),
most everything is the same except for two minor but significant changes.
I'd like to get back to the old appearance.

- chapter title font is no longer rendered in the
PDF at 20pt, but rather at about 14pt
(a default set somewhere else? ignoring font-size="20pt"?).

- the space between the bottom of the chapter title
text and the 3pt rule beneath it changed from being
about 3pt (nice looking) to about 10pt (way too much,
looks bad).

I know it doesn't work, but I'm looking for something that would have the
same affect as
border-bottom-space-before="-6pt"
to pull the rule up, but that may not be necessary if I can get the chapter
title font-size back to 20pt.

I'm not saying that a bug was introduced between DocBook XSL versions 1.65-1
and 1.66-0. I don't know that. Perhaps a bug was corrected and my
customization layer is still trying to accommodate for a bug that no longer
exists.

If necessary, the entire XSL customization layer is online at:
http://www.getnet.net/~swhitlat/DocBook/XSL_Project_XSL.html

Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

Steve Whitlatch