Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] image & caption alignment problem

Hi Tristan,

Since the align attribute is supported on caption in the DTD, it should be
supported in the stylesheet as well.  Could you file a bug report on
SourceForge for this?

In the meantime, you could use a customization such as this:

<xsl:template match="caption">
  <fo:block>
    <xsl:attribute name="text-align">
      <xsl:choose>
        <xsl:when test="@align != ''">
          <xsl:value-of select="@align"/>
        </xsl:when>
        <xsl:otherwise>left</xsl:otherwise>
      </xsl:choose>
    </xsl:attribute>
    <xsl:apply-templates/>
  </fo:block>
</xsl:template>

The align attribute on caption is a bit of a muddle.  Before HTML table
markup was added in 4.3, the caption element did not have an align
attribute.  It was added because HTML tables permit a caption element, and
that attribute came along.  Since the same element name was already used for
mediaobject, it got the new attribute too.  The attribute only allows values
of top, bottom, left, and right.  Note that there is no center, since that
is the default for captions in HTML tables. Note also that you can't specify
something like top (above the table) and left at the same time.  Perhaps we
should have adopted the Strict XHTML table model, which does not have an
align attribute on caption.  8^)

DocBook Consulting