Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] declaring document id's

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 11:27:26PM -0800, Bob Stayton wrote:
> Hi Jens,
> XIncludes are not generally a problem with olinking.  In fact, that
> combination is often used for modular content files.
>
> Olinking is not automatic.  It requires some careful set up, and some
> attention to using the parameters to make sure the olink data is available
> at processing time. For example, your command line does not specify a
> target.database.document parameter.  I suggest you read through this doc and
> carefully follow the steps.
>
> http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/Olinking.html#LinkBetweenDocs

	Step 1:

	Decide which documents are to be included in the domain for
	cross referencing, and assign a document id to each. A document
	id is a name string that is unique for each document in your
	collection. Your naming scheme can be as simple or elaborate as
	your needs require.

I have google'd extensively on this, and for the life of me I cannot
find any information on how to declare a "document id".

both

	<document id="MyDoc">

and

	<document id="MyDoc"/>

fail in xmllint.

	<book id="MyDoc">

parses correctly, but I'm not sure yet whether it is correctly pointing
to the right document.

Can you clarify this? (It seems like such a simple thing, but it isn't
clear to me at all.)

Jens