Subject: HTML link -> OOo footnote via DocBook?

Greetings,

I have a large XHTML 1.0 strict document that I would like to convert to
a PDF in which the URLs in the links are placed in footnotes, for print
presentation.

I understand I can do this by converting my web page to DocBook, and
there are tools available for this, and then to publish to PDF, but do
you know whether it would be possible to instead to prepare
OpenOffice.org documents from DocBook instead of PDF?

I want to do a bunch of fancy formatting that would be quite difficult
to prepare through stylesheet customizations.

Alternatively, you can tell me that stylesheet customizations aren't
that difficult anymore, so I don't need to use OOo, but the last time I
tried, it was with the DSSSL stylesheets, and was quite painful.  I used
DSSSL and Jade because at the time the XML tools weren't as mature.  Are
they better now?

I also want to include some encapsulated postscript graphics, and some
hi-res bitmaps.

Thanks!

Mike Crawford
crawford@goingware.com

     Read "GoingWare's Bag of Programming Tricks" at:
            http://www.goingware.com/tips/