Subject: table footnotes in the table

While looking at a bug report on table footnotes, I noticed that table
footnotes are handled differently in HTML and FO outputs.  In FO output,
footnotes for the whole table are collected into an fo:block placed after
the table.  In HTML output, footnotes are output at the bottom of each
tgroup element (with footnote letters restarting in each tgroup), and the
footnotes are placed in an added row in the tgroup.

I find putting the footnotes into a row of the table to be confusing, and
unnecessary as far as I can tell.  Also, I don't think it is necessary to
output footnotes per tgroup (although that situation is probably pretty
rare).  I'm considering changing the XSL stylesheet for HTML output to place
all the footnotes for a table in a div after the table, not after each
tgroup.  This would more closely match the FO output, and a class attribute
on the div would allow a CSS stylesheet to style the footnotes as needed.
Any comments?

DocBook Consulting