Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] excluding image format according to output

On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 10:26 +0200, Camille BĂ©gnis wrote:

> This is what happens to me: I use PNG for screenshots for both PDF and
> HTML output formats. Then I wanted to insert a diagram exported in EPS
> format from the editor for PDF output, and PNG for HTML.
OK. Not unreasonable.

>  Obviously I
> cannot use the PNG for PDF because it is bad quality.
!Oh.
  Is that a value judgement, or more commonly accepted?

> As PDF can embed vector graphics in it, this is the insurance that best
> possible quality, in terms of resolution, will be achieved at print time.
>
> As I don't want the processor to exclude all PNGs for PDF (because of
> screenshots) I had to use the following:
>
>        <mediaobject>
> 	<imageobject>
> 	  <imagedata align="center" fileref="images/animation-fig.pdf"
> 	  format="PDF" width="15cm"/>
> 	</imageobject>
> 	<imageobject>
> 	  <imagedata align="center" fileref="images/animation-fig.png"
> 	  format="JPG"/>
> 	</imageobject>
>        </mediaobject>
>
> and exclude JPG for fo output in customization layer...
>
> Hope it's clear now,

I can see what you want... I don't see how Bob's stylesheets
can choose (png =>html, ...eps=>xsl-fo (pdf) output)
 Hang on, you have a 'animation.pdf' *image*
Now I don't understand what that is. You said EPS for the print.

Sorry Camille, I'm still confused, and very curious.

Sorry if I seem thick. I just don't understand.
But perhaps I'm not all that picky on image quality.

Any references please anyone?
Use X for html Y for print.

regards DaveP