Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] excluding image format according to output

On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 17:05 +0930, Paul A. Hoadley wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 06:21:19PM +0100, Dave Pawson wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 10:26 +0200, Camille B??gnis wrote:
> >
> > >  Obviously I cannot use the PNG for PDF because it is bad quality.
> >
> > !Oh.  Is that a value judgement, or more commonly accepted?
>
> I am pretty sure Camille is talking about something like line drawings
> and diagrams, in which case it would be fairly uncontroversial to say
> that a vector format (such as EPS) would ensure the highest final
> quality.

Clearly showing my ignorance (or youth :-) I didn't know eps was a
vector format. Thanks for the enlightenment Paul

> > I can see what you want... I don't see how Bob's stylesheets can
> > choose (png =>html, ...eps=>xsl-fo (pdf) output)
>
> http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/GraphicSelection.html#SelectByRole

That Bob Stayton again :-) Neat.
  Again I didn't know ... OK enough of the self-flagellation

Generalising the question then (for my education if no one else's),
Are there 'quality ladders' that are common?
and I guess I'd better caveat that as for either being html and PDF.

What are peoples preferences? Which ones do you avoid, always choose?
What are the considerations.
Clearly I'm less fussy, I always go for png for both. Jpeg if png
not available.

regards DaveP