Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] PDF named destinations using FOP

Bob Stayton wrote:

> But I'm still a bit discouraged with how poorly supported linking
> between PDF files is with the current PDF readers.  I could not get
> links between local PDF files working if they included fragment
> identifiers.  If there is a fragment identifier, then the PDF output
> has "/URI (myfile.pdf#frag)". If you try to browse this locally with
> Acrobat Reader, it thinks you want http://myfile.pdf#frag, which does
> not work.  I tried various combinations of file: protocols, but none
> worked for me on Windows XP.  I could only get fragment identifiers
> to work if I used an absolute URL to a file I installed at that
> address on my website.  Not very flexible.

AFAIK fragment identifiers work only if you are browsing PDF files using
Acrobat Reader Control which is placed inside browser windows. This is
usual behaviour when you follow PDF link from web-page. This works also
on local machine, probably because web browser created absolute URI from
relative one and this passes to Acrobat Reader.

Using this behaviour it is quite simple to implement things like link
from HTML chunk to corresponding part in PDF version of same DocBook
document.

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature