Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Simpler XHTML output

Hi, Rene.

Exactly what do you mean by simpler?  Do you mean fewer
style-free-by-default-divs, or do you mean leaving out the body
attributes, layout tables, and other inline styling?

If you mean the many extra divs, then I think those actually help rather
than hurt.  A nested div that has no style applied has no effect on the
rendering of the page, and I don't believe it has a great deal of impact
on the processing time, either.  Certainly not as much as nested tables
or bad code.  However, it offers a ton of hooks to tie your CSS to,
which in my few weeks of working with the DocBook XSL stylesheets I've
already found to be very useful.

If you mean the latter, then I would agree.  More specifically, a
"strict and pure" version of HTML/XHTML.  By default, the stylesheets
produce Transitional code, and code that uses layout tables to boot.
Bob's Book has instructions on modifying the templates to be
strict-compliant, but for the most part they boil down to "and modify
any templates needed to remove non-strict stuff".  Even then, switching
to full-CSS layout instead of table-based layout for the navbars, for
instance, would be very non-trivial since it's such a complex template.
  (I've looked at it.  It's a weird beasty.  I'm glad someone else wrote
it instead of me, because it's very cool. <g>)

I don't know how deeply the Transitional code is embedded within the
standard scripts, so I don't know how difficult a generic "strict and
pure" extension would be to write.  I know some XSLT (have been using it
for years before I started using the DocBook XSL package, although
nothing this elaborate), but I don't know if I'm up to the task.

Would anyone with more knowledge of the guts of the scripts be able to
offer input?

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry@garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

idea, which an individual may exclusively possess as long as he keeps it
to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the
possession of every one, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of
it."  -- Thomas Jefferson