Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Simpler XHTML output

Rene Hache wrote:
> Bob,
>

>>I would put forth the proposition that a div without a class or id attribute
>>is a div that isn't useful for CSS and can be eliminated.  Same with empty
>>divs.  It may be that some of those divs are useful under different
>>circumstances when more titlepage information is to be output.  But the
>>stylesheet should only output divs if they can serve a purpose.
>
> Sounds like not too bad of an idea to me. I am obviously not a
> programmer, but is that "easy" to do? Somebody else also proposed
> pretty much the same idea.

I'd also agree that is a reasonable policy to take.  While I suppose you
could style un-marked divs with complex nest-based CSS selectors, I
don't know why you'd want to. :-)  I can see where having them might be
useful for, say, putting two or more images onto a title page, but
without a class or id to attach to it would be quite difficult.

I'm curious, though, how are those being generated in the first place?
Are the divs generated absolutely and then a class or ID generated only
conditionally?  Or are they just fluff from an older version of the
templates?  That would affect how easy or hard they are to remove.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry@garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

idea, which an individual may exclusively possess as long as he keeps it
to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the
possession of every one, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of
it."  -- Thomas Jefferson