Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Simpler XHTML output

PROPOSED GUIDING PRINCIPLES FOR SIMPLER XHTML OUTPUT
* Version 1.1 :) *

1. The XHTML output will comply with the W3C XHTML 1.0 Transitional
recommendation, as well as current W3C Accessibility Guidelines.

COMMENT: I will stay out of this discussion since I do not have the
technical expertise to make an assessment of the comments posted on
this issue.

2. Included in the output will be a default CSS file with a basic
layout for screen, print and handheld devices. The CSS file should be
fully functional in current browsers: Opera 7+, Mozilla 1.0 and IE 6.

3. Outputted XHTML code will aim to be as simple (meaning fewer tags)
as possible to facilitate CSS layout, and be completely table-less
expect for tabular data.

4. XHTML outputted will have four main DIVs for layout purposes:
header, navbar (for basic navigation on all pages as well as
next/previous), content and footer.

5. Unless specified via the role attribute (or some other mechanism),
The only DIV to be generated inside the main content div will be
admonitions, sidebars and highlights.

COMMENT: It is still my personal preference to not generate extra
divs, but the majority seems to be leaning the other way. Maybe not
generating those extra divs might be an option in the customization
layer?

6. All graphics that will be used for navigation purposes or
admonitions will be handled by the stylesheet. This will ensure
maximum functionality accross various mediums and facilitate meeting
accessibility standards.

Thanks for everyone who has participated in this discussion so far.
Certainly a good example of the vibrant nature of the DocBook
community.

Later,
Rene