Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Epic with DocBook?

> I doubt the problem here is Epic, so I doubt telling him
> to move to another method will help.  Basically, it sounds
> like he needs to "get a little wetter" if he wants to be able
> to use a doctype like DocBook and he isn't willing to just
> use a pre-installed distributed version.  It isn't that hard,
> but one does have to be willing to go to a little effort to
> learn the basics.
>
> paul

I agree.

I learned Epic+DocBook pretty fast, including how to create custom doctypes from
just imitating Arbortext's out-of-the-box DocBook XML doctype. The regular
posters on this list can probably remember that it was just about a year ago
when I obviously knew _nothing_.

". . . long way baby!" (Well done Steve, very well done. Thank you. Thank you
very much.)

I monitor and/or participate in several mailing lists devoted to issues of
XML-authoring/SGML-authoring/structured-authoring/etc. Many authors new to
XML/SGML expect enterprise publishing software and/or XML/SGML tool chains to
work differently. It has been my experience to find that even tech pubs managers
who should know better have unrealistic expectations. Specifically, many tend to
think XML/SGML publishing and single-sourcing is much less expensive than it is,
and that it should require personnel with fewer technical skills (cheaper
people). When I speak to them about DocBook solutions, they frequently fail to
recognize the value provided by all the various DocBook-specific tools and
solutions.

Imagine developing and maintaining a complex DTD; creating formatting code for
various output targets using the latest technologies; implementing profiling,
text-insets, linking, etc.; converting legacy docs; storing the XML in a
repository; providing WYSIWYG XML authoring across the enterprise for authors
and SMEs; etc.; etc. It is not a cheap and easy undertaking.

Steve Whitlatch