Subject: Single Quote Character Translation

All -

My environment is DocBook 3.1 on Fedora Core 3 using Open Jade and the
DSSSL stylesheets.

When creating a PDF, ASCII single-quote characters are being translated
into and displayed as right-end-single-quote characters. In normal text
this is perfectly acceptable, but in program listings, it is NOT
acceptable. This is due to the fact that on Windows, when you
cut-and-paste a program listing from my PDF to NotePad (or any other
simple editor) the character is NOT translated back into a standard ASCII
single-quote. Thus when you try to compile or use the saved listing you
get errors from the compiler or intrerpreter.

This problem does not seem to exist on Linux-based systems. Here
cut-and-paste seems to translate the character back to a standard
single-quote just fine. The problem is that most of the users of my PDF
are on Windows.

I have searched the stylesheets for anything that might prevent this
problem but I cannot locate anything that would be useful. Does anyone
have a solution for this problem?

Thanks,
W. David Ashley
IBM Linux Technology Center