Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Single Quote Character Translation

David Ashley <dashley@us.ibm.com> writes:

> All -
>
> My environment is DocBook 3.1 on Fedora Core 3 using Open Jade and the
> DSSSL stylesheets.
>
> When creating a PDF, ASCII single-quote characters are being translated
> into and displayed as right-end-single-quote characters. In normal text
> this is perfectly acceptable, but in program listings, it is NOT
> acceptable. This is due to the fact that on Windows, when you
> cut-and-paste a program listing from my PDF to NotePad (or any other
> simple editor) the character is NOT translated back into a standard ASCII
> single-quote. Thus when you try to compile or use the saved listing you
> get errors from the compiler or intrerpreter.

I think that the behavior you are seeing is a problem in Tex, not
a problem in the DSSSL stylesheets.

As far as I can tell, the DSSSL stylesheets do not attempt to do
anything with the single-quote character; they just pass it on
as-is, such that is shows up in output from Open Jade just the
same as it is in your source: As a straight ASCII single-quote/
apostrophe mark.

When that gets to Tex, Tex seems to automatically convert it into
a single "curly" quotation mark. So I think the problem is to
figure out how to tell Tex not to do that.

I did a little bit of searching and it seems that this is a known
"feature" of Tex. But I couldn't find any information on how to
work around it.

Maybe somebody on the list who is more familiar with Tex can
provide some insight.

  --Mike

--
Michael Smith