Subject: Preserving entities during SGML to XML transformation

Bernd Groh <bgroh@redhat.com> writes:

> when trying to convert larger projects from sgml to xml, using sgml2xml
> (osx), trying to not resolve internal entities, using
> -xno-expand-internal, I do get a Segmentation fault. This only happens
> in larger projects, and if I enable no-expand-internal. Did anyone ever
> come across this, is there a fix, or can anyone suggest another tool for
> the conversion of larger projects, where neither internal, nor external
> entities are to be resolved?

I have never run into that problem with sgml2xml/osx, but for
dealing with the issue of preventing entities from getting
expanded, I wrote a simple Perl script, called "cloak", that
hides/unhides entities (and some other things).

I run it as a pre-processing step to feeding the docs to other
tools, so that entities in them end up being hidden to the eyes of
any XML/SGML parser looking at the docs.  I then run it again as a
post-processing step, to unhide the entities and other things that
it has "cloaked".

I have put a copy of the script is here:

  http://docbook.sourceforge.net/outgoing/cloak

And I have also now checked it into the "contrib" area of the
DocBook project CVS repository. So you may also be able to get it
from the project ViewCVS interface:

  http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/docbook/contrib/tools/

But that lags behind the real CVS repository by several hours. So
it may not yet be there by the time you look.

  --Mike

--
Michael Smith
http://logopoeia.com/  http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/890