Subject: Re: [docbook] Re: <holder> and <author>

On 22.06.2005, at 22:18, Sam Steingold wrote:

>> * Michael Smith <fzvgu@kzy-qbp.bet> [2005-06-23 01:04:19 +0900]:
>>
>> Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>> Why doesn't <holder> contain <author>?
>>
>> Dunno. Should it? Currently, it doesn't not only contain Author --
>> it also doesn't contain a lot of stuff. It basically just allows
>> very limited selection of inline markup.
>>
>> What would be the main value in allowing it to contain Author? I
>> would guess so that you could put in e-mail address in there too?
>
> yes, mostly.  I tend to use a lot of entities (for the same reason I
> use
> variables in programs - I only miss "local entities", similar to
> "lexical variables"), so I want to use &sds; whenever I am mentioning
> myself.

Hi Sam,

I'd say this is not the best use for entities. They are not variables,
more like read-macro (given the CL background). If you need variables
and substitution, a better solution is to use custom elements, that is
in a (different) namespace, and templates in the customization layer
that expand them.

David