Subject: newbie problem generating pdf with fop

Hi,

I'm new to docbook... I just want to throw word processors away and do
most of my tech writing in something easy to handle...

The point is I do understand XML... I don't know a lot about XSL (that
is, I know what it is supposed to do, not how it does it) and mostly
nothing about FO and FO processing.

Anyway, I wanted to "start working" and learn along the way...
regretfully, I'm hittin' the wall a bit too early.

I wrote a small document using conglomerate
(http://www.conglomerate.org/) which seems to be a nice editor... it
has its bugs, but it generates clean docbook XMLs (or so I think).

Browsing the docbook.org site I learnt how to generate html and had no
problem with it:

$ CLASSPATH=/usr/share/java/saxon.jar
$ export CLASSPATH
$ java com.icl.saxon.StyleSheet simple-docbook-article.xml \
  /usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/nwalsh/html/docbook.xsl \
 > simple-docbook-article.html

did the job nicely.

However, I tried to generate a pdf output but always got the same
error... whether I go the saxon+fop way or the plain fop way:

$ java com.icl.saxon.StyleSheet simple-docbook-article.xml \
  /usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/nwalsh/fo/docbook.xsl paper.type=A4 \
  > simple-docbook-article.fo
Making portrait pages on A4 paper (210mmx297mm)

$ fop -fo simple-docbook-article.fo -pdf simple-docbook-article.pdf
[INFO] Using org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser as SAX2 Parser
[INFO] FOP 0.20.5
[INFO] Using org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser as SAX2 Parser
[INFO] building formatting object tree
[INFO] setting up fonts
[ERROR] file:/home/baby/simple-docbook-article.fo:84:86
master-reference '' for fo:page-sequence matches no simple-page-master
or page-sequence-master

:-(

Note that between "master-reference" and "for" there's a couple of
apostrophes (single-quotes), like there's some name missing...

I could use any help.

FYI: I'm using Debian sarge (3.1)
Blackdown Java 2 SDK 1.4.2.02-1
libsaxon-java 6.5.3-4
fop 0.20.5
docbook-xml 4.3-1.1
docbook-xsl 1.68.1-0.1
docbook-xsl-stylesheets 1.40-1

which are the current sarge packages as of today...

TIA

--
Mariano Absatz - El Baby
el (dot) baby (AT) gmail (dot) com