Subject: Re: SGML to XML: Should I switch? How to switch?

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 11:33:01AM +0700,
 Euis Luhuanam <eluhu6@gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 66 lines which said:

> why to switch

Here were my reasons to switch. YMMV.

1) Good XML-only tools (RelaxNG for the schemas, Xpath to query data,
XSLT and DOM to transform data, nxml-mode for editing with emacs)

2) I find that XML is better than SGML: understandable specification
and realistic standard.

3) XML seems to be the future so, you'll probably have to switch one
day, wether you like it or not.

> how to switch?!

It depends on the existing set of documents and on your present
toolchain.

For the documents, sx (also called sgml2xml), in the SP / OpenSP
suite, can convert them.

For the tool chain, you can, at the beginning, keep the same since
every XML document is a SGML document (no, it's more complicated but
it is at least partly true).

> First, how much do I need to convert my current headers.

Apparently, there is nothing SGML-specific in it, so XML tools will be
probably happy.

> Second, how would the command lines look like?

The same command line should work (caveat: you may have some trouble,
for instance to add the XML declaration,
/usr/share/xml/declaration/xml.dcl on Debian).