Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: SGML to XML: Should I switch? How to switch?

On 7/17/05, Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu> wrote:

> No and no. A valid XML document MUST have a DOCTYPE declaration. A
> merely well-formed document does not need one, but it is required for
> validity.

??  So let me get this straight: you're telling me that all of the
thousands of documents I validate against XML Schema and RELAX NG
schemas -- without any doctype declarations -- and which every single
validator tells me are valid, are really not?

Sorry, but that's just not true (except in a DTD-centered universe).

Bruce