Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Refentry, man pages, and DocBook XSL 1.69.0

Mike-

Thanks for alerting me to this update. We have been authoring our man pages in
DocBook XML here at Cray for over 4 years, and I have experimented with the XSL
driver before as way of generating *roff output.

I just tried the 1.69 version, and it is a nice improvement over previous
versions. I'm glad to see it getting attention; the more the industry changes to
XML man pages, the better, imho.

That said, for now we'll continue to use the docbook-to-man package for *roff
conversion, though I'll be using XSL for HTML conversion. docbook-to-man
(originally by Fred Dalrymple and now under the Debian umbrella) is 3-4x faster
than the XSL, and provides the same functionality. I've modified the Debian
version to work with XML (originally it was SGML only).

I'd be interested in any ideas about the speed difference; I assume it's because
docbook-to-man doesn't use the DOM and just streams (using OpenSP and a
stylesheet transformer called Instant).

Thanks again for your work.

pek

--

Peter Karman  .  http://docs.cray.com/  .  karman@cray.com

"I love deadlines.
  I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
         - Douglas Adams