Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] is there a flowchart explaining XML?

Webmaster wrote:
> I'm looking for a visual diagram that can explain the processing for editing
> XML and producing multiple outputs. has anyone seen anythign like this
> anywhere?

I made a simpler one than Walsh's, which suffices for most purposes:

(view with a fixed-width font)

     DocBook --[XSLT proc.]-+-> HTML
                    ^       |
                    |       +-> XSL-FO --[XSL-FO proc.]--> PDF

            {XSL stylesheets}

"DocBook" is the DocBook XML document.

"XSLT proc." is an XSLT processor.  There are many to choose from.  Of
the free ones, the popular ones are xsltproc, Saxon, and Xerces.

"XSL-FO proc." is an XSL-FO processor.  As with XSLT processors there
are many, both free and commercial.

And obviously the "XSL stylesheets" are either the standard DocBook
stylesheet set, or ones you cook up yourself, or some combination of the
two.

The PDF output leg could be Postscript or any other print output format.