Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: SGML to XML: Should I switch? How to switch?

Bob McIlvride <Bob.McIlvride@cogent.ca> writes:

>                                                      We still find
> DSSSL the best way to get PDF output using completely open-source
> tools.

Another possible way is to use DB2LaTeX (http://db2latex.sf.net), a set of
XSLT stylesheets which generate LaTeX2e from your DocBook document. From
the resulting TeX-files you can generate high quality PDF/PS output using
a "standard" TeX system.

Caveats:
- some (La)TeX knowledge is extremly useful
- don't underestimate needed time for customization
- upstream support seems to be not responding since some months

Pros:
- good support on Debian
- KDE people recently showed interest to use DB2LaTeX (which would
  mean even better support in the near future)

Michael