Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] profile chunking

Thank you Jirka and Mauritz,

The scenario is that I have about 6 profiling attributes. And 2 of the items are to generate Help for UNIX and Help for VMS. These items should not include any general text which could be common to the UNIX Manuals or VMS Manuals. Hence, I need to generate the content that is specific to UNIX HELP and VMS HELP as 2 different XML files.

Thanks & Regards,
Sarah

________________________________

From: Jirka Kosek [mailto:jirka@kosek.cz]
Sent: Mon 8/15/2005 12:30 AM
To: Mauritz Jeanson
Cc: SIRIGINA Saraswathi; docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org

Mauritz Jeanson wrote:

> To skip all sections that don't have an os attribute, create a profiling
> customization layer with an empty template:
>
> <xsl:template match="section[not(@os)]">
> </xsl:template>

This can break things like numbering and ToC. The better way is to strip
section during profiling before document processing:

<xsl:template match="section[not(@os)]" mode="profile"/>

However I think that Sarah wrongly designed placing of profiling
attributes. Request for stripping unmarked (without condition attribute)
elements very often means that there is something wrong. Consider:

<section os="Linux">
<title>LILO</title>
</section>

I think that <title> with LILO should be processed when generating
documentation for Linux. But what is the difference from

<section>
<title>Notepad</title>
</section>

This section probably shouldn't go to Linux documentation. But why
section and title elements should be processed in a different way? Once
you will start use different profiling logic for different elements you
will end with messed up documents after some time.

                                        Jirka

   Profesionální skolení a poradenství v oblasti technologií XML.
      Podívejte se na nás nove spustený web http://DocBook.cz
        Podrobný prehled skolení http://xmlguru.cz/skoleni/

Confidentiality Statement:

This message is intended only for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain privileged, confidential information which is exempt from disclosure under applicable laws. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that you are strictly prohibited from disseminating or distributing this information (other than to the intended recipient) or copying this information. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by return email.