Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Docbook XML to Word(ML)?

Well, I'm no lawyer[1] (thank goodness!) so I can't give any kind of
definitive answer...

Last time I looked, Microsoft were offering a royalty-free license to
use their XML-based formats as long as you acknowledged that their
patents were valid.  I'm not sure whether their patent applications
have actually been approved by the US Patent Office[*] and I'm even
less sure whether the patents would actually be defensible.
Personally, I don't believe the patent holds water, but see [1].

Now, most of these stylesheets are being developed in Australia, not
the US, so it is Australian patents that should be relevant.
However, the recent Free Trade Agreement (FTA) probably negates that
issue: AFAIK (again, see [1]) IP now applies equally in the US and Oz
(see also debate concerning pharmaceuticals before the FTA was signed).

Will there be unpleasant side-effects?  Probably once somebody starts
to make significant amounts of money from this stuff without
Microsoft getting a cut...

[Normally I sign off my messages with "Cheers", but I don't feel too
cheery on this issue ;-) ]
Steve Ball

* The USPTO seems to approve all kinds of dubious software patents so
I would expect that if it hasn't already been approved then it soon
will be :-(