Subject: Free-sofware DocBook-to-PDF solutions: dblatex

Lauri Watts <lauri@kde.org> writes:

> Due to the lack of response from the maintainers of db2latex, we in fact have
> taken up dblatex instead:
> http://dblatex.sourceforge.net/

Thanks very much for the heads-up about dblatex. I had never heard
of it before I came across your posting.

I did some brief testing with it and, with the docs I tested it
with, it does seem to work relatively well.

I ran into some things that don't seem to be supported (like
callouts) and some bugs witn line-wrapping and other things, but
overall it seems promising. And IMHO, the default layout of the
output from it looks a lot better than the default output from
db2latex.

> There is quite some activity going on, the maintainer is responsive, and there
> are several other people contributing as well as KDE (so, you don't need to
> worry about us locking it into a KDE dependency or anything like that.)
> We've settled on this as our pdf publishing solution, we just have to build
> it into our build system.

It's good to hear that dblatex has some momentum behind it,
especially great to hear that the KDE team is contributing. We
really need a production-quality free-software DocBook-to-PDF
solution. To me at least, dblatex looks like the one that has the
most chance of actually maturing into production-quality.

  --Mike

--
Michael Smith
http://sideshowbarker.net/