Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Using OpenOffice as a DocBook editor

On Thursday 08 September 2005 06:17, Patrick wrote:
> All you have to do is use the proper template for your OpenOffice
> documents and then convert the documents to Docbook XML v4.3 using
> ooo2dbk. It works very well for me. If you need further help don't
> hesitate to contact me.

The idea is nice, but I find that people never stick to the template when
using a tool like OOo W. It's just too powerful and the urge to use those
power gizmos seems to be driven by an unseen hypnotic force. So the process
changes in so much that you get sxw, open, apply styles and fixup document
and make document sane, convert with ooo2dbk.

After some testing I found it was just easier to let people use the structured
XML-editor of their choice. Give em a list and say go for it. Seems people
like doing this because they get to choose and so they are happy to learn
something new. I found most engineers used Vim or Emacs. Why, because they
already use it. Some do the eclipse, others use Oxygen and the less technical
people used XMLmind.

It was the same amount of work for me as asking them to use OOo W. The
technical people got the idea very quickly and went from there. They do get
stuck on things and help themselves with TDG. If they're not sure they email
me. If they just do it wrong, then I or another person fixes it in the RCS.
Training non-technicals to use XMLmind was more difficult, but the advantage
is that once trained they cannot deviate from doing anything but what the DTD
allows and XMLmind will only save files as valid and well-formed :-)
The main concerns they had once they learned to separate presentation and
prose/data layer were:
1. Don't show me those brackets.
2. You expect me to learn all those tags.

XMLmind took care of problem 1. Showing them that for the most part they are
only really ever using about 30 of the over 400 tags, solved the second. For
the most part the names used in Docbook are logical and aligned with
traditional names given to writing structures and devices.

Some non-techs like the idea of doing something in XML. Look ma! I wrote an
XML file. Others just can't be helped, then I give em OOo and live with
fixing those hypno-insane documents.

To make it work, you must be prepared to support, support, support, so have
patience.

Hope this helps,
--
Sean Wheller