Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Using OpenOffice as a DocBook editor

Yep. You have two choices: take a word processor and make it act like an
xml editor or take an xml editor and make it feel like a word processor.

I think to convince non-geeks, you have to give them something that's no
more complicated than Frame wrt tagging, crossreferencing, etc. and in
addition gives them convenience tools that repay them immediately for
the extra effort of doing semantic markup (e.g. various views of the doc
based on the semantics: a list of figures, tables, remarks, that make it
possible to move around quickly...like Word's Document Map but with
semanitcs).

David

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Pawson [mailto:davep@dpawson.co.uk]
<snip>

If you think you can channel peoples creativity with pointy brackets
rather than an office tool, go ahead and try.
 I've tried for 7 years and failed.
If you get it to work, bottle it and sell it Sean!

It's the people problem, as XP is wont to tell us.

At least with OoO we are starting from something people are familiar
with.

<snip>