Subject: DocBook XSL processing on localized OSes

This might be slightly off-topic for the list, but here goes. I'm deploying a DocBook build system to users who are using localized versions of Windows XP. Some but not all of these users--specifically, those who are using XP localized for Simplified Chinese and Korean (note: Not the language pack, but the full-blown OS) are having Saxon problems when they attempt to process some of our DocBook content. The problem occurs when Saxon encounters certain multi-byte UTF-8 characters (the exact problem characters change per language). On Korean, for example, Saxon hoses whenever it encounters ’ (right single quotation mark) and throws an error message complaining that the file is not a valid UTF-8 file. The file actually uses the hex value e28099 for this, and does not pose a problem for me when I process it on my US OS based machine. My hypothesis is that there is some JRE issue on certain OSes, but a concerted Google search has not been fruitful. Or, perhaps, there is a Windows reg setting that differs per locale. Has anyone encountered this issue?