Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Displaying images in XMetal

Jana Volencova wrote:

> And speaking about XML editors, I spent a lot of time trying to find a
> suitable one but nothing seems ideal.

The problem is that to be really productive, you should heavily
customize generic XML editor to particular document type (DocBook in
your case). Some editors are already shipped with quite good DocBook
support (Epic, XXE), some not (XMetaL). And if you have just few hours
to quickly develop basic DocBook support for XMetaL you will probably
get something what won't be as good as DocBook support in XXE. But if
you can spend some time on it, you can get something much better. And of
course you can even improve DocBook customization provided by XXE.

So, if you are evaluating XML editors for DocBook, you should evaluate
either features that are available out-of-the box, or evaluate
extensibility features provided by editors that allow you to customize
editor for your needs.

Yes, this is a hard process, because there is no simple checklist of
features for "DocBook editor". Creating good documentation system is not
that easy. You can use stock Word. It will work to some extent. You can
use stock DocBook, with stock XML editor with stock stylesheets and you
will get much better solution. But if you want state of the art
solution, you should analyze your needs, then design and create
customized version of DocBook (usually just subset with few domain
specific extensions), customize stylesheets and editing environment for
maximum productivity of tech writers. And there is a bunch of other
things to consider -- CMS, review process, translation management, ...
Good luck!

				Jirka

   Nejbližší termíny školení: DocBook 5.-7.12. * XSL-FO 19.-20.12.
      XSLT 17.-20.10. * XML schémata (včetně RELAX NG) 7.-9.11.

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature