Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] chapter headers on pages

Op 3-okt-2005, om 17:48 heeft Bob Stayton het volgende geschreven:

> Hi Tom,
> I see.  It wasn't that the header text was missing, it was that the
> top of
> the page was being cut off.
>
> This turns out to be a page size problem.  You A4 pages are being
> rendered
> to 8.5 x 11 inch pages.  You can check that by looking at the document
> properties in the PDF browser.  In Acrobat Distiller, I was able to
> set the
> page size to the A4 dimensions and then the header appears as it
> should.
>
> The PostScript file seems to be specifying a page bounding box with A4
> dimensions, so I can't explain why that isn't used by the PS to PDF
> conversion.  You might check the FOP doc to see if there is some
> FOP option
> for setting that for PS output.
>
> P.S.  When you get this working, could you follow up with the
> resolution on
> docbook-apps?  Thanks.

This seems partly to be a display problem.  Mac OSX's `Preview`
doesn't show Postscript, but converts it to PDF; however it chokes in
what it brews from the .PS that comes out of fop (in fact, it chokes
in most Postscript files that I feed it).
The general Unix `ghostview` from Darwinports unless told otherwise
insists on displaying this on Letter, which makes the headers drop
off, even though the "%%PageBoundingBox: 0 0 595 842" fits A4.

Likewise de ps2pdf from Darwinports makes PDF for Letter.  However,
the ps2pdf I have on (Ubuntu/Debian) Linux properly converts the .PS
to PDF for A4.  That PDF file is properly displayed by MacOSX
`Preview` with the page headers.

So this seems a peculiar Darwinports problem; I'll see if I can file
a bug report.

Thanx to Bob for checking the files in an alternate environment.