Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Tool to query dtd/schema for valid element children|attributes [SOLVED]

David Nebauer <davidnebauer@switch.com.au> writes:

> I'd already tried 'dtdflatten' but it does not seem to like my Debian
> default setup.  Actually, all of the tools in SGML::DTDParse have the
> same reaction regarding the default catalog file:

> $ dtdflatten /usr/share/xml/docbook/schema/dtd/4.2/docbookx.dtd
> Reading /etc/sgml/catalog...
> Don't know how to parse CATALOG keyword: CATALOG
> $
>
> In particular, it complains that the default catalog file contains
> 'CATALOG' keywords.  This is unfortunate as _every_ line starts with the
> CATALOG keyword.

I ran into the same problem with it. As a workaround, try this:

  $ SGML_CATALOG_FILES= dtdflatten /usr/share/xml/docbook/schema/dtd/4.2/docbookx.dtd

That is, run it with the value of the SGML_CATALOG_FILES
environment variable unset.

You might also want to try the "flatten" script that's in the
DocBook Project cvstools module. I put a copy here:

  http://docbook.sourceforge.net/outgoing/flatten

You can also grab it through anonymous CVS:

  cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/docbook co -r build -P cvstools/flatten

If you grab it from CVS, make sure to use the "-r build" switch --
because the "build" branch version is a currently different than
what's in the CVS HEAD branch. The version in the HEAD branch is
Norm Walsh's original. The version in the "build" branch includes
a hack I added (a backtick invocation of xmlcatalog(1) to handle
resolving system IDs that have remote URIs).

  --Mike

--
Michael Smith
http://sideshowbarker.net/