Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Tool to query dtd/schema for valid element children|attributes [SOLVED]

David Nebauer <davidnebauer@switch.com.au> writes:

> Thanks for the tip.  I have one last question: Is there a simple way to
> produce a flattened DTD from a modular one using commonly available tools?

Along with the ones already mentioned, there's one that Scott
Hudson posted a note about to the list a few months back -

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-apps/200506/msg00210.html

It's a Java app -

  http://woodstox.codehaus.org/DTDFlatten

It seems to work well and provides some useful options -

  $ java -jar  dtd-flatten.jar
  Usage: class com.ctc.wstx.tools.DTDFlatten[flags] [DTD file]
   flags:
     --output-comments (default)
     --strip-comments
     --output-conditional-sections
     --strip-conditional-sections (default)
     --output-pe-decls
     --strip-pe-decls (default)
     --output-whitespace:<mode> (mode: all/compact/minimum; default 'compact'
     --help [displays full help]

And it can handle entities that have system IDs with remote URIs.
(Though I think it just slurps those down from the net, rather
than trying to do catalog resolution).

  --Mike

--
Michael Smith