Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Tool to query dtd/schema for valid element children|attributes[SOLVED]

Michael Smith wrote:

>Along with the ones already mentioned, there's one that Scott
>Hudson posted a note about to the list a few months back -
>
>  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-apps/200506/msg00210.html
>
>It's a Java app -
>
>  http://woodstox.codehaus.org/DTDFlatten
>
>It seems to work well ...

It surely does.  Out of the three tools you pointed out, this one runs
the fastest.  Blisteringly so, in fact.  As with everything, however,
there is a trade-off -- the minimum possible output size is double that
of flatten running in default mode.

>And it can handle entities that have system IDs with remote URIs.

Not on my system, it couldn't:
$ java -jar dtd-flatten.jar
http://oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd
java.io.FileNotFoundException: No such file or directory
   at gnu.java.nio.channels.FileChannelImpl.open (FileChannelImpl.java)
   at gnu.java.nio.channels.FileChannelImpl.FileChannelImpl
(FileChannelImpl.java:106)
   at java.io.FileInputStream.FileInputStream (FileInputStream.java:108)
   at java.io.FileInputStream.FileInputStream (FileInputStream.java:83)
   at java.io.FileReader.FileReader (FileReader.java:89)
   at com.ctc.wstx.tools.DTDFlatten.main (DTDFlatten.java:140)
   at java.lang.VirtualMachine.invokeMain (VirtualMachine.java)
   at java.lang.VirtualMachine.main (VirtualMachine.java:108)

Public IDs are misinterpreted as command-line options:

$ java -jar dtd-flatten.jar "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.2//EN"
Unrecognized option '-//OASIS//DTD'.
Usage: class com.ctc.wstx.tools.DTDFlatten[flags] [DTD file]
 flags:
   --output-comments (default)
   --strip-comments
   --output-conditional-sections
   --strip-conditional-sections (default)
   --output-pe-decls
   --strip-pe-decls (default)
   --output-whitespace:<mode> (mode: all/compact/minimum; default 'compact'
   --help [displays full help]

Thanks for all your help, Michael.  The combination of xmlcatalog (using
the public ID!) and either of these tools will enable me to solve the
coding problem I have.

Regards,
David.