Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] table headers

You can either mark it up using HTML markup or CALS (DocBook 4.2+
supports both).

If you want to mark it up in HTML, just user <th> where you have
<headentry> in your pseudo-markup below.

If you want to use CALS, you need multiple <tgroup>s with their
own separate <thead>s (see Neil's earlier response).

Like this:

<article>
  <title></title>
  <!-- this is HTML table markup in a DocBook doc-->
    <caption>foo</caption>
      <th>head1</th>
      <th>head2</th>
      <th>head3</th>
      <th>head4</th>
  <!-- this is CALS table markup -->
    <title>bar</title>
    <tgroup cols="2">
    <thead>
      <row>
        <entry>head1</entry>
        <entry>head2</entry>
      </row>
    </thead>
    <tbody>
       <row>
         <entry>cell1</entry>
         <entry>cell2</entry>
       </row>
    </tbody>
    </tgroup>
    <tgroup cols="2">
    <thead>
      <row>
        <entry>head3</entry>
        <entry>head4</entry>
      </row>
    </thead>
    <tbody>
       <row>
         <entry>cell3</entry>
         <entry>cell4</entry>
       </row>
    </tbody>
    </tgroup>
</article>

tom.kirkpatrick@virusbtn.com writes:

> I'm sorry, I was being lazy and using a very (very) shorthand html snipped
> to represent what I need to do - which is :more like:
> (although it needs to actually be in docbook). The point is that I have
> multiple head entries, dotted about the table. Currently I am just using
> <emphasis> to fake the head entries, but I'd much rather have it defined
> in terms of the tables structure rather than how I want it to look - hense
> why I am using Docbook in the first place.

>     <row>
>         <headentry></headentry>
>         <headentry></headentry>
>     </row>