Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Small questions about what tools to use

Hola Javi.

El Viernes, 4 de Noviembre de 2005 08:53, Javier Farreres escribió:
> In fact it is true that there are more modern options, but this doesn't
> mean they are better. I don't think the FO standard covers as much as
> the DSSSL standard. I am working on an extension of OpenJade in order to
> support the complex page-sequence, which will even enhance the
> possibilities of the tool. I think that, although the stylesheets and
> the processing of OpenJade may have bugs that must be corrected, the
> result is quite professional. In fact, for generating PDF you are first
> generating TeX and then PDF, and TeX has demonstrated quality.

Great to know that there are alternatives. I hope the improvements you mention
could reach a release (at least a beta), because according to the Debian
changelogs, the latest Jade release is from 1998, and the latest OpenJade is
from 2000.

> Jade or OpenJade is a processor, and will work with any XML document.
> OpenJade is not designed to work with Schemas as far as I know, and I
> don't know if DocBook5.0 is going to be defined with DTD or Schema model.

As I understood it, DocBook 5.0 will be defined in Relax NG, but unofficial
DTD will be available.

> >* Should I remain with DSSSL/Jade, or switch to XSL, and just customize
> > the stylesheets until I get a result which is near to what I like?
>
> Up to you. You can also customize your DSSSL stylesheets without problem.

OK, I will continue testing and playing. Thanks for the answers. :-)

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) - GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2
http://darkshines.net/ - Jabber ID: suy@bulmalug.net