Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Imagedata fileref - wrong path

Hi Bob,

Bob Stayton wrote:
> Hi Donna,
> The XInclude process inserts xml:base attributes into the elements that are
> included to indicate what directory (actually what file) the element came
> from.  The image filerefs in an element are assumed to be taken as relative
> to that location, not the location of the including file.  So, for example,
> if you unit test a chapter without Xincludes, then images are taken relative
> to the chapter file and it works.  When you then XInclude that chapter from
> a book file in another location, the stylesheet uses the xml:base attributes
> to recompute the path to the images so that they are taken as relative to
> the master book file.

I had read your earlier remarks about the generated xml:base attributes,
yet I'm not sure I understand them. The reason is that all the files my document
is composed of are located in the same directly (the 'source dir'), while
I'm building from within a distinct place (the 'build dir').

The images I reference in my document are placed in a subdirectory of the
source dir, and so the fileref attribute reads 'images/ast.svg' (say).

When combining the xml:base attribute (which would be the relative path
from build dir to source dir) with the fileref attribute, I get a path
from the build dir to the original location of the image files.
That doesn't seem right.

I believe what should happen is that the fileref should be adjusted to
account for the relative path from master document to the xincluded parts,
in an attempt to make the xinclude processing as transparent to the infoset
processing as possible. But that's not quite what happens, quite in the contrary.

Kind regards,
		Stefan