Subject: recursive entity resolution - how to just print the whole tree?

I really like the way xsltproc resolves entities - going down deeper
and deeper until it resolves them all.

Is there a way I can get the entire docbook document, without putting
it through any XSLT transformation? The files are all distributed in
lots of files everywhere, and only the DTD knows where they all are.

I thought perhaps xmllint would do the trick with these options:
xmllint --xmlout --noent --stream --dtdattr index.docbook

but it prints nothing (even though according to the docs, it should
print the whole tree).

So 2 questions.
1. why doesn't xmllint print anything?
2. is there a way to get either xmllint or xsltproc to just print the
whole XML document, resolving all entities?

just fyi, my index.docbook looks like this:

<!DOCTYPE set PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.3//EN"
"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd"; [
  <!ENTITY % contents SYSTEM "00-generatedEntities.dtd">
  %contents;
]> <set root="true">

&html.allcontent.docbook;

</set>