Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Profiling and validation

On 1/10/06, Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz> wrote:
> Bob Stayton wrote:
>
> > I would consider that a bug.  The profile.xsl stylesheet has this output
> > element:
> >
> > <xsl:output method="xml"
> >             doctype-public="-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.2//EN"
> >
> > doctype-system="http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd"/>
> >
> > Since the DTD versions are forward compatible, I don't see why that should
> > not be updated to 4.5.
>
> We can update it to 4.5, but if there will be any newer version in the
> future we will be in some troubles as now. The best solution would be
> probably to completely drop generation of !DOCTYPE for profiled
> document. If someone needs to validate profiled document he/she can
> specify DTD manually or create customization of profile.xsl that would
> output the correct version of DTD.
>
>                                         Jirka

Thank you for your fast response.

I think there must be a way to determine and preserve the DTD version
in the processed/profiled file. Of course, I understand Jirka's
concern if there is no way to determine the DTD version.
On the other side, as profile.xsl is a part of DocBook XSL distro, it
could be synchronized with the current DTD, I guess.

Regarding the Bob's suggestion, this is fine, I can use this kind of
workaround. It's simple and effective. However, the profiled file does
not validate. I had to fix the DTD version number and remove xslns:xi
declaration from the root element (book, in my case).

Can it be related to the XML catalogs I have defined in my system?

Thanks again,

Zbyszek