Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] programlisting line wrap options

Dear Bob,

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 09:47:52AM -0800, Bob Stayton wrote:
> Yes, the wrap features you were looking at were for printed output to
> prevent content from going into the margins and off the page.

O.k., I just wanted to be sure that was the case before I started
looking at problems with my parser setup.

> For HTML output, programlisting content is output inside a <pre> element,
> with the assumption that a browser can scroll to view lines that don't fit
> in the current window size.  I don't know if there is a CSS property to add
> a wrap feature to a pre element.  Doesn't it still depend on the current
> window and font size being used?

Just found one. There's an attribute called white-space which can be
set to "normal" to basically turn off the effect of the pre element
(not very pretty for program listings). The other settings are "pre"
and "nowrap". These two differ by the way that whitespace is
handled. The "pre" setting doesn't collapse whitespace and "nowrap"
does. What I'm missing is something like "wrap" which would do word
wraps but leave whitespace alone.

Since what I'm putting in the programlisting element is included from
a file, I can just insert line-breaks where I need them in the source
file.

Thanks,
Dano

--

"I aim to misbehave" - Malcom Reynolds, Captain/Owner of Serenity