Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] xsl fo stylesheets for (la)TeX like output

Hi,

On Sunday 29 January 2006 15:02, Jakob Praher wrote:

> I am currently writing my master thesis. though i
> would like to use
> docbook, since i have some experience in it, i can't
> find any really
> satisfying xsl fo stylesheets that produce pdf output
> in style similarly to TeX.

What do you mean by "similarly to TeX"? The layout, the font or just the
overall appearance? In one of my documents I use the LatinRoman[1] fonts
that are derived from Computer Modern, convert my DocBook into FO and
render it with XEP. With some meaningful margin settings the PDF looks
very similar to (La)TeX.

> I tryied dblatex[1] and the default docbook fo
> stylesheets, but had
> problems with dblatex cause of the complexity of my
> documents.

How complex are your documents? Do you use a lot of math formulas? Or is
the structure itself complex? Could you be a bit more elaborate,
please? :)

> I think
> you have to write the docbook in a very latex way. I
> would really like
> to see something that is usable without a lot of
> tweaking.

Well, if you do not really want to tweak too much, then a DocBook to FO
transformation would probably be interesting. If you don't mind, RenderX
offers a Free Personal Edition. Its only limitation is that it prints a
logo on one of the margins. With the help of the DocBook stylesheets and
Bobs book[3] this should be managable.

However I don't really know how complex your documents are, so I can only
guess. :)

Hope that helps,
Tom

-------
[1] ftp://ftp.tug.org/tex-archive/fonts/lm/
[2] http://www.renderx.com/download/personal.html
[3] http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/index.html

--
Thomas Schraitle