Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] xsl fo stylesheets for (la)TeX like output

sorry!
I forgot to press reply-all.

Thanks for your replies.
To sum it up: I am interested in "pretty" (like LaTex
output) XSL stylesheets to produce fo out of docbook
or something like that.
The problem for me is not choosing a FO rendering
engine.

The other possibility is to convert docbook to LaTex,
which has the disantvantage of having to understand
LaTex in case of translation errors or ugly outputs.
Therefor when persuing this option I probably write
the thing straight in LaTeX.

So to be precise: My questions is not, which things
you could do (I know FO is really powerful), but *IF*
there is something already around which I could use to
produce a really nice docbook pdf given a short time
frame.

regarding using FOP on free-java:
try to get the latest gcj/gij 4 and try and download
the beta of fop (I downloaded it for jdk1.3.)

in interpreative mode it should work like: (if you are
in the root directory of the FOP binaries)

export cp=$(echo lib/*.jar | tr ' ' ':')
gij --classpath build/fop.jar:$cp
org.apache.fop.cli.Main -fo
examples/fo/basic/border.fo -pdf test.pdf

it worked for me out of the box.
you can also ahead of time compile the jars to sos and
use gcj-dbtool to load shared objects instead of
interpret jar files.

-- Jakob