Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] xsl fo stylesheets for (la)TeX like output

Hi,

On Sunday 29 January 2006 16:45, Jakob Praher wrote:

> [...]
> So to be precise: My questions is not, which things
> you could do (I know FO is really powerful), but *IF*
> there is something already around which I could use to
> produce a really nice docbook pdf given a short time
> frame.

I collected a list of some advantages (marked as +) and disadvantages
(marked as -). Please keep in mind that this list is not exhaustive and
probably very personal. Other users will see it differently, agree or
disagree with some points. I hope it is somewhat helpful though.

(1) Write in DocBook, transform to LaTeX:
+ Highly structural approach
+ Can be transformed very easily to HTML
+ Output of PDF/PostScript benefits from LaTeX typographical experience
+ High quality of mathematical formulas
+ Separate content from presentation

- Needs to adapt the XSLT stylesheets to LaTeX output; can be difficult
- Maybe problems with some (Unicode) characters (especially the
  converstion from entities to LaTeX construct. You need probably a
  separate step). Sometimes you need to escape characters that makes
  problems in LaTeX.
- Font installation in LaTeX is complicated especially for beginners
- In case of errors, user have to deal with cryptic error messages
- Some XML construct /can/ be problematic in LaTeX
  (emphasis in screen, callouts, ...)
- You always(?) need some manual intervention to get the best results

(2) Write in DocBook, transform to XSL-FO
+ Highly structural approach
+ Can be transformed very easily to HTML
+ XSL-FO benefits from a very similar as in CSS
+ Complexity of input format is independend from output (which is not
  always the case in LaTeX).
+ You can in use most of Unicode characters (depends on your font)

- Restriction from XSL-FO itself (for example with references: you
  can not say "on this page", "on the following page")
- Mathematical* output and quality depends on your formatter
  (*if you markup in MathML)
- DocBook stylesheets needs adapted to a certain degree

(3) Write in LaTeX
+ Typographical experience over very long decades
+ If you choose from one standard class (e.g. Koma) it gives you a
  perfect layout *and* you can tweak if you don't like it.
+ Very stable, fast
+ High learning curve but it will pay off
+ Mathematical formulars are state of the art

- Font installation in LaTeX is complicated especially for beginners
- In case of errors, user have to deal with cryptic error messages
- Convertion into HTML can be done, but I would consider it not as
  perfect as from DocBook to HTML.
- You can not "validate" your document (although it might not be
  need in case of LaTeX)

Maybe this gets you an idea what format is the best for your thesis.
Perhaps other readers extend that list? :)

Good luck!
Tom

--
Thomas Schraitle