Subject: Xincludes (OS X) resolved

Hi list,

just thought I'd pass on the info, incase anyone in the future
working on OS X has similar problems. Firstly I compiled Xerces and
Xalan from source as I was getting a
"java.lang.NoSuchMethodError" (see: http://www.docjar.com/docs/api/
java/lang/NoSuchMethodError.html) error which on the surface seemed
to be an incompatible binary versions.

This threw the first problem on the OS X, the OS X JDK does not
include a tools.jar, this will cause ANT to throw an error when
trying to compile Xerces. For some reason it's been renamed
classes.jar so the following symlink will fix the problem:

% cd /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Home/lib
% ln -s ../../Classes/classes.jar tools.jar

So you should end up with "tools.jar -> ../../Classes/classes.jar".
ANT will now compile Xerces, Xalan, etc...

Lastly the following should also be added to you classpath:

xerces-2_7_1/xml-apis.jar

Along with:

xerces-2_7_1/xercesImpl.jar
saxon6-5-5/saxon.jar

The rest of the process involves following Bob Stayton's most
excellent documantation on Xincludes [http://www.sagehill.net/
docbookxsl/ValidXinclude.html#XincludeDTD].