Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] sub equations

Hi Chris,
You didn't mention whether you wanted to change the
structure of the equation element to support sub
equations, something like nesting equation elements.
If that isn't necessary, and if the sub equations are
separate, you could just create a stylesheet
customization to respond to a role attribute on an
equation that designates it as a sub equation.   In
other words, if it is just a labeling issue then the
stylesheet could do it.  Perhaps using role something
like this:

<equation id="main-one">
<equation id="sub1" role="subequation main-one">

The first word in the role attribute identifies the
second equation as a sub equation, and the second word
provides the id of the main equation.  Then the
stylesheet could form a number label based on that
information.

The number label would come from a customization of the
template in common/labels.xsl that starts with:

   <xsl:template match="equation" mode="label.markup">

Copy that to a customization layer, and change the
match to:

   <xsl:template match="equation[starts-with(@role,
'subequation')]" mode="label.markup">

and then change the template could parse the role value
to get the id of the main equation, and form the number
label.

DocBook Consulting