Subject: Adding attributes/parameters to the "<para>" template?

Hi,

I am having a hard time trying add a "para template" in my "customization" layer.
I would want to add an parameter to the para template.  This parameter would
contain a string that would be prepended to the paragraph.

So if I had in my xml file this ...

<para pm="+++ ">Hi there </para>

... output would be in html something like ...

Also how would I make the template use a default value if the attribute/parameter
was left out?  Also how could I make another template say ... strict_para ... that
would cause an error if the parameter was left out?

I guess I should get a book on xsl ... right?  or is xstl?

Thanks
Plankton