Subject: SV: [docbook-apps] itemizedlist spacing="compact" in XHTML

> I just read that: "The "compact" and "type" attributes of the ul
element are not supported in XHTML 1.0 Strict DTD."
> However the xhtml/lists.xml still makes use of it:
> <ul type="disc" compact="compact">
> Is this a bug?

No. The attributtes 'type' and 'compact' is used in the 'XHTML 1.0
Transitional DTD'. In the Strict DTD the attributes for layout has been
removed. The layout can be handled by a stylesheet, for instance a
CSS-stylesheet:

ul { list-style-type: disc; }

Compact can be simulated with line-height.

Using the docbook stylesheets you should get the Transitional version of
the XHTML DTD.

Henrik Ryom
Senior Information Architect
InfoFuture A/S