Subject: DocBook specializations (was: Re: [docbook] DocBook for hardwaredocumentation=

Hi all,

I take advantage of this thread to tackle the wider topic of DocBook
specializations.

With DocBook V5 on sight, people will be much more likely to customize
the DTD, and not simply use the "role" attribute. While this is great in
an information coding point of view it poses the problem of
interoperability, Customized DocBook is not really DocBook anymore right?

Norman Walsh is describing techniques for smart handling of
customizations, using the DITA specialization concept:
http://norman.walsh.name/2005/10/21/dita#specialization

Is the DocBook team planning to add support for this in the standards
schema and stylesheets?

Would it makes sense to provide customization developers a best
practices guide, and a "DocBook Specializations Repository" where people
could contribute their customized schemas and stylesheets to handle
specific requirements, by metier for example?

I'm no expert in those topics and I hope what I've been writing makes
sense :-)

Yours,

Camille.

Maneesh Soni a écrit :
> That is very encouraging. Is there any open standard DocBook schema that
> is suited for Hardware/Chip documentation? An open standard may be
> beneficial to everyone in the long run given that a very large
> percentage of chips share a common structure in the overall
> hardware/software architecture and  associated documentation.
>
> Regards,
>
> Maneesh
>
> Jirka Kosek wrote:
>> Maneesh Soni wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to know if DocBook will be good for hardware
>>> documentation. While there are specified constructs in DocBook for
>>> software API documentation, there's does not seem to be much to
>>> support hardware specifics. For example, it is unclear how, in
>>> DocBook, one could document (and tag) the details of the memory map
>>> of an embedded processor in a chip or memory mapped registers.
>>>
>>> Could someone on this list please let me know if DocBook has been
>>> used for hardware documentation and how effective a solution is it
>>> for the purpose?
>>
>> Very effective, but I suggest you to spend some time with analysis. I
>> have several customers from hardware and chip producing companies.
>> After initial analysis I created special customized version of DocBook
>> for them. Many elements from standard DocBook were removed in orded to
>> make editing easier and few new specific elements (like register,
>> instruction, signal, ...) were added. In DocBook V5.0 it is dumb easy
>> to create your own customized version of DocBook. For V4.x
>> customization you need DTD geek ;-)

begin:vcard
fn;quoted-printable:Camille B=C3=A9gnis
n;quoted-printable:B=C3=A9gnis;Camille
org:NeoDoc
adr:Domaine du petit Arbois BP 88;;CEEI;Aix en Provence Cedex 4;;13545;France
email;internet:camille@neodoc.biz
tel;work:+33.4.42.22.62.35
tel;cell:+33.6.33.15.10.23
x-mozilla-html:FALSE